Annual Rent Cap Percentage April 2021

Categories: Landlord Questions, Laws & Regulations

Tenant Protection Act of 2019 (AB1482)

Annual rent caps for properties subject to the Tenant Protection Act of 2019 (AB1482) are based on a minimum 5% base plus the percentage change between the previous year’s regional consumer price index (CPI) for the month of April, and the regional CPI for April of the current year. Consumer price data is published monthly by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) (https://www.bls.gov/)

For the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim metropolitan areas, the percentage change in the consumer price index (CPI) from April 2020 through April 2021 was 3.6 %. Adding this percentage change in the CPI to the 5% base provided under AB1482, calculates to a total rent cap of 8.6 % for the next 12 months.

Source: https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ca_losangeles_md.htm

Thank you for your time. If you have any questions please call our office (562) 426-8341.

Apartment Association, California Southern Cities