05 Nov November 2020
“I want to let you know how important your membership is…”
I am sure by now most of you have received your 2021 AACSC membership renewal notice. I want to let you know how important your membership is to me personally and to our industry. Here are just a few examples of what we have accomplished this year.
- AACSC is the only apartment association serving Long Beach, and it has done so for more than 96 years. Our Mayors, City Council Members, and key staff turn to us, and no one else, on public policy issues.
- AACSC was instrumental in working with industry partners to defeat the proposed Tenant Harassment Ordinance that would have exposed owners and agents to severe fines for de minimis violations. It would have been extremely difficult for anyone of us to talk to a tenant about paying rent!
- AACSC was instrumental in not only keeping inspection fees from being increased but was successful in working with the City to waive inspection fees for the remainder of the year.
- Other apartment associations wrote and lobbied the City Council and Mayor that agreed to adverse legislation when we had already worked out solutions with the City that were more beneficial to AACSC members.
- As your President, I also serve on the National Apartment Association (NAA) Board of Directors working on federal legislation for our industry. In addition, I currently serve as the Chair of the Property Management Forum for the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). Commitment to our industry is an imperative. I am able to provide to NAA and NAR the impact of federal legislation and regulation such as the most recent CDC order that prohibits evictions until January 1, 2021.
- With the help of our Board Member Attorney Bruce Menke, our Sacramento Lobbyist Ron Kingston, our Board Member Vicki Abe, and staff member Oliver John Baptiste, AACSC has rewritten everyday forms for your use. The forms include: a totally revised and up-to-date lease; move-in/move-out form; compliance forms regarding AB 1482 (statewide rent cap); and most recently AB 3088 COVID-19 eviction moratorium requirement forms. I ask each AACSC member to not be misled by others that do not have the knowledge or level of accomplishment of our community as we do.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Best Wishes to you and your family for a safe and healthy Thanksgiving holiday.